Gastrointestinal Disorders Specialist
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), chronic constipation, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) are common gastrointestinal disorders that cause a range of symptoms and affect your quality of life. Rhett Bergeron, MD, and his team at Real Health Medical in Roswell and Stockbridge, Georgia, use functional medicine to help those suffering from gastrointestinal disorders get the answers and treatment they need for a dramatic improvement in health and quality of life. To schedule an appointment, call the office or book online today.
Gastronitestinal Disorders Q&A
What are gastrointestinal disorders?
Gastrointestinal disorders are conditions that affect your digestive system. The functional medicine experts at Real Health Medical provide answers and dramatic improvements for those suffering from gastrointestinal disorders, such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Chronic constipation
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Chronic intestinal infections
With functional medicine, the team identifies and treats the root cause of your disorder to alleviate symptoms and resolve the condition altogether.
What causes gastrointestinal disorders?
Many factors may trigger the development of a chronic gastrointestinal disorder. Some of the most common causes include:
- Stress (trauma)
- Gut microbiome
- Autoimmune reactions
In most cases, multiple factors are involved in the development of chronic gastrointestinal disorders and cause digestive tract changes, such as:
- Over-activation of the immune system and autoimmune reactions
- Decreased digestion and absorption
- Decreased serotonin production
The many factors that affect gastrointestinal health may also affect the lining of your digestive tract, leading to a leaky gut.
What are gastrointestinal disorder symptoms?
The factors or triggers of your gastrointestinal disorder have systemic effects on the body that affect overall health and may not directly involve your digestive system. Your symptoms may include:
- Brain fog
- Disrupted sleep
- Decreased energy
- Poor memory
- Abnormal thyroid function
- Muscle weakness
- Neurological dysfunction
If you’re experiencing these symptoms, contact Real Health Medical today.
How common are gastrointestinal infections?
Chronic gastrointestinal infections and parasites are more common than recognized by conventional medicine. These infections are hidden and undetected. Even when correctly diagnosed, you may continue to experience symptoms at some level due to undertreatment.
The most common gastrointestinal infections include:
- Yeast (candida)
- Clostridium difficile (C-diff)
The team takes a unique functional medicine perspective and approach to the treatment of these infections.
How can functional medicine help my gastrointestinal disorder?
With functional gastrointestinal medicine, the team at Real Health Medical uses clinical and laboratory testing to identify the underlying triggers of your digestive disorder accurately. Your tests may reveal:
- Unrecognized food sensitivities or allergies
- Undetected infections (parasites, bacteria, yeast, or mold)
- Imbalance in the healthy bacteria in the intestinal tract
- Deficiencies of digestive enzymes
- Deficiencies in probiotic supporting bacteria
The team also takes into consideration the adverse effects of stress and trauma on the three systems of digestion: the gastrointestinal, immune, and autonomic systems.
Based on the information collected from your testing, the team develops individualized treatment plans that may include:
- Elimination and rotational diet (accurate and specific for each patient)
- Intermittent fasting
- High-quality probiotics and digestive support supplements
- Intestinal detoxification
- Clinical therapies (ozone, intravenous oxidative therapy, ultraviolet blood irradiation)
- Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) to resolve trauma and stress
- Correcting autoimmune conditions
- Combined natural and prescription protocols for bacterial and parasitic infections
The functional medicine approach provided by the team at Real Health Medical is scientifically based and clinically effective to restore gastrointestinal health, avoid long-term use of prescription medications, and prevent other related diseases such as cancer, autoimmune diseases, and degenerative conditions.
For comprehensive care for your gastrointestinal disorder, contact Real Health Medical by phone or schedule an appointment online today.